Monday, May 27, 2024

 

During my trip to Spain last April, I had the opportunity to explore Casa Batlló, one of architect Antoni Gaudí's most emblematic works in Barcelona. Nestling in the heart of the Eixample district, this modernist residence is a veritable ode to Gaudí's boundless imagination.

Casa Batlló is much more than just a residence; it's a work of art where every element, from the furniture to the lighting fixtures to the stained-glass windows, has been designed with meticulous attention to details. As I explored Casa Batlló, I was fascinated by Gaudí's architectural innovations, such as the natural ventilation system, the skylights and the organic shapes inspired by the natural world.

During my visit, the area of the house that really stood out for me was the stairwell, which in my opinion, with its cold colours, is a real contrast to the rest of the house and its warm-coloured woodwork. What's more, the design of the stairwell sets it off really well, with a video of the sea projected onto the walls, making you feel as if you were in the middle of a stormy sea, with the balconies looking like little boats.

Another thing that stood out for me was the façade of this house. Although it's very well-known and I'd already seen photos of it, arriving in front of this house blew me away. I'd already read articles saying that Gaudi found his inspiration in Nature, but I didn't really understand this. It's really by looking at each detail of this facade, or even the house as a whole, that you understand Gaudi's intention to represent in this house a Nature that he judged to be perfect and abundant. Some of the details may seem insignificant, but all the curves in the house make for a harmonious and very (once again) natural whole.

There's a lot to say about this visit, I could tell you about the magnificent view over Barcelona from the rooftop, or the magnificent architectural exhibition by Kengo Kuma at the end of the visit, but I think the most important thing is to go and admire this modernist masterpiece for yourself. The only drawback I can see is that the place is so crowded that it's often hard to appreciate every detail Gaudi has to offer. Anyway, to sum up, I'd say I loved this immersive visit to Gaudi's work.

Albin Corteval

No comments:

Post a Comment